Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Adventures With a Girl Named Adelynne

I know it's been quite some time since I've written a new blog post (about 19/20 months really), it's just so easy to share little stories along with pictures via Instagram. I for one, really love Instagram; I love sharing little bits that way and I love seeing everyone's little babies growing up and the little things that are happening in their lives.

Obviously there's been a lot going on in our little world, but really tonight, I just want to write a brag-post about our oldest child Adelynne. Oh this girl. She's turning (turned?) into such a little girl; a little girl who is inquisitive, bright, humorous.  This has been a big summer for our sweet Adelynne: she chose to accept Jesus; she turned 5; she learned how to ride a bike, climb a tree, how to write more clearly and in sentences, and now this month, on September 01st, she started kindergarten. 


First, the big news (which I actually meant to share when it actually happened, not, eep! three months later): on June 02, 2016, one month before she turned 5, Adelynne chose Jesus. We were sitting at the lunch table, listening to the radio and she began asking questions about some words in a song (which isn't unusual), which led to us talking about the power that the Holy Spirit gives us when we have Jesus. As we chatted Adelynne began to tell me that she too wanted what Jesus offers, so I asked if she wanted to wait until her dad gets home so that we could all pray together and she said no, she wanted to do it right then. We stopped what we were doing and started to pray. Now, I've never "led" anyone to the Lord before, so I wasn't entirely sure of what to pray, but pray we did. We prayed for understanding, and wisdom, and that she would know truly deep in her heart what Jesus has done for us. We prayed for a wise and discerning heart, and she prayed to accept Jesus, telling Him that she was choosing Him. 

I felt incredibly honored, and blessed, and excited (and still feel this way) to be a part of this big moment in my daughter's life. A moment without coercion, without hesitation, without prodding. It was an incredible moment filled with honesty, innocence, and joy.

While I know that my daughter is quite young, I am choosing not to take this decision she's made lightly. She may be young, but she is inquisitive, smart, and isn't unaware of faith, and so I'm not second-guessing her decision to follow Christ. We daily remind her of who lives inside of her and what that means; we pray and ask her to pray and we encourage her to pray on her own and to talk with Jesus whenever she wants to; reminding her that He is here with us through the Holy Spirit and that He wants to talk with us and that we can tell Him anything/everything. Over the summer the girls took part in a summer reading challenge through the local library, and Adelynne actually won one of the weekly draws. It was really exciting, as she won a gift certificate to the book store in the mall. It was exciting also because Adelynne chose to get a new bible with her gift certificate and was really, really quite excited about it. 

This is a big decision that my daughter has chosen and I am so incredibly proud of her, and as our family & friends, I ask that you too join me (us) in prayer for our daughter that this decision would take up full residence in her heart and that God would bless her with a wise and discerning heart, full of grace & love & understanding. I ask that you pray for Ben & I as well as we begin the journey of discipleship of our daughter in a new way, as I honestly do believe that things do and should change once the decision to accept Christ has been made. We ask for lots (and lots) of wisdom, and grace and for us to be able to demonstrate a deep & meaningful faith in-which our relationship with the Lord can be seen clearly by Adelynne (and our other two).  And I thank you for joining in prayer with us, for we know that where two or more are gathered in His Name, then He is among us (Matthew 18:20). I believe no matter the age, this is something to be celebrated, and so celebrate we will!

We got to celebrate Adelynne again a month later when she turned 5 on July 2nd. Wow. I have a 5 year old! I can't believe how quickly the time goes by. Every year I think the same thing. I'm sure of it, as I'm sure most other parents think the same thing as well! Sometimes it shocks me, as you can really see that Adelynne is no longer a baby, but really is a little girl - she's a kid. Over the summer Adelynne learned how to ride a bike, without training wheels, as well as climb trees, and she has been improving upon her writing and drawing skills. It's actually quite neat, especially as a parent, to watch the progression and growth of a child. To see their writing become neater, their drawings begin to take more shape and life, their words become bigger, their humor begin to form. I feel blessed to have this opportunity to watch my child grow and become who God has designed her to be. It truly is a neat experience to be a part of.

Adelynne's first full day of school
September 01st was a big day in our household, as it was Adelynne's first day of kindergarten. Oh my goodness! Kindergarten! For some reason I was under the impression that she was just half days so I was in for a bit of a surprise when her teacher informed me that she would be full days, 8:30 a.m. - 3:17 p.m. twice a week. I wonder if those of you who have had your children in for full time for awhile now remember those days...I cried. For real. Because, well, it was becoming real. I feel like I blinked and now my baby isn't a baby anymore. She's running off without saying good-bye because she sees her friend and really wants to play with her again. Oh my heart. What have I gotten myself into...

Adelynne truly is a special kid. Her heart is kind and thoughtful. She is humorous and a really fun kid. She loves to read, do crafts and is really animated. You can find her either singing & dancing (especially if she has found a mirror or her reflection) or reading books. She makes up her own songs & raps (thanks Uncle Jesse...) and can sing along with nearly every song on the radio. She's creative, loves dresses and the colour pink, and knows how to stop and take a deep breath when things get a little tough. When she grows up she wants to be a superhero, and dammit, I think she's going to be.


We made some vision boards to hang up in their room - so much fun!


Getting ready for her first day of school


We camped in our backyard for a couple of nights :)



On her 5th birthday!


With her new doll from Grammy



 We have a lot of fun making faces...







No comments:

Post a Comment